Strategic Tourism Plan: 2021-2027
The County Legislature endorsed the new Strategic Tourism Plan 2021-2027 on March 3, 2020. The Strategic Tourism Plan guides the county’s values, goals, and proposed actions regarding tourism over through 2027. This draft represents the third update to the Strategic Tourism Plan.
Work on the plan began in August 2018 with the establishment of the plan update steering committee. The plan was prepared with the help of many people who live and work in Tompkins County. A community survey was conducted in late 2018 and early 2019 – this survey gathered feedback from 309 people regarding their ideas for tourism development. A facilitated “focus search process” stakeholder meeting with 21 representatives of local non profit organizations was held in April 2019 to determine how our community can advance tourism. In addition, numerous small group meetings have been convened to examine specific topics.
The Strategic Tourism Plan 2021-2027 considers our current conditions as well as many emerging issues which have the potential to impact travel and tourism in our county. The plan was informed by the findings of the recently completed Visitor Profile Study – an in-depth analysis of people who recently visited Tompkins County. Nearly 2,100 visitors participated in this study through online or in-person surveys. A public comment period was held from October 23 to November 11, 2019.
The plan proposes eight overall goals and additional goals in fifteen distinct focus areas. The plan proposes specific actions and measures for each focus area.
Related Tourism Plans, Projects and Resources:
- Tactical Placemaking for Tompkins County
- Outdoor Recreation Tourism Implementation Plan; Appendices - adopted by the STPB on April 18, 2018.
- Tompkins County 2020 Agriculinary Tourism Implementation Plan; Appendices - adopted by the STPB on September 19, 2016
- Tompkins County Heritage Tourism Implementation Plan - adopted by the STPB on February 17, 2016.
- Tompkins County Beautification, Signage and Public Art Strategic Plan - adopted by the STPB on April 20, 2016.
- Tompkins County Wayfinding and Interpretive Signage Plan - completed by the Tompkins County Chamber of Commerce in July, 2014 with support from and on behalf of the Tompkins County Tourism Program.
- Tompkins Priority Trails Strategy - August 6, 2014
- Cayuga Lake Blueway Trail Plan - A partnership between Cayuga, Seneca and Tompkins Counties to enhance access to paddling experiences on Cayuga Lake.