The mission of the Tompkins County Department of Assessment is:
- to yearly assess properties at uniform percentage of fair market value in order to equitably distribute the tax burden amongst the taxable properties within Tompkins County,
- to administer real property tax exemptions as provided by the New York State Real Property Tax Law.
- educate the general public about Real Property Assessment Administration
- prepare and maintain tax maps for the identification, data collection and valuation of real property.
The Tompkins County Department of Assessment does NOT:
- determine the amount of taxes that an individual property will pay (a combination of assessment and tax levy does that),
- advocate for any real property tax exemptions (DofA will administer any exemptions mandated by the NYSRPTL or allowed by local option),
- have any assessment be influenced by any political entity (The DofA is totally independent - all employees of the DofA are civil servants and do not serve at the whim of any political body).
- value property based upon names or ability to pay taxes (market value dictates how properties are valued).