HelpContact UsFOILSite Map

Custom Navigation

Living in Tompkins County linkLearning in Tompkins County linkVisiting Tompkins County linkBusiness in Tompkins County linkTompkins County Government link

Legislature Ushers in Bicentennial Year

You are here:

You are here

> Legislature Ushers in Bicentennial Year

Bicentennial List of Upcoming Events

Legislature Ushers in Bicentennial Year

At the January 3rd meeting of the Tompkins County Legislature, Legislature Chair Michael Lane noted the start of the County’s Bicentennial Year, saying that 2017 will be a year of events and activities, which will begin with art shows during January and February entitled “Art in Tompkins County: Then and Now,” sponsored by Ithaca’s State of the Art Gallery.

To mark the beginning of the Bicentennial, he read an excerpt from a “Historical Sketch of Tompkins County,” published in August 1866, as follows:

"The county of Tompkins was formed April 17th, 1817, by taking from the county of Seneca, the towns of Hector, Ulysses and Covert, and from the county of Cayuga, the town of Dryden, and parts of the towns of Locke and Milton.  That part of Locke set off to Tompkins, was named Division, and the parttaken from Milton was called Lansing.

The County as first organized, consisted of six towns:  Hector, Ulysses, Dryden, Division, Lansing and Covert; subsequently the name of the Town of Division was changed to Groton, and April 13th, 1819, the town of Covert was taken from Tompkins and re-annexed to Seneca.

March 16th, 1821, the towns of Ithaca and Enfield, were formed by dividing the town of Ulysses, and March 22d, 1822, the towns of Caroline, Danby and Cayuta were taken from the County of Tioga and annexed to the County of Tompkins; and the name of the town of Cayuta was afterwards changed to Newfield.

June the 4th, 1853, a narrow strip was taken from the west side of Newfield, and annexed to the town of Catherine in Chemung County:  and April 1;7th, 1854, the County of Schuyler ws erected, and the town of Hector taken from Tompkins and annexed to Schuyler."