HelpContact UsFOILSite Map

Custom Navigation

Living in Tompkins County linkLearning in Tompkins County linkVisiting Tompkins County linkBusiness in Tompkins County linkTompkins County Government link

You are here:

You are here

> Social Services-Food Assistance

Food Assistance (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)


Previously known as Food Stamps, the Federal SNAP program provides low-income households monthly benefits to purchase food. Income and resource standards vary according to age, health, household size and household expenditures.

You or your authorized representative can apply for SNAP either online at or by completing a New York State-prescribed form manually and mailing it to or dropping it off at the Department of Social Services.

The following links contain important information:

For more information -- including how to file a complaint if you feel that you've been discrimated against -- click here for the SNAP page on New York State's Office of Family and Disability Assistance website.

SNAP ABAWD work requirements Hotline:  274-5202

Federal rules for recipients of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly Food Stamps) impose a time limit for eligibility to receive SNAP benefits for individuals who are Able-Bodied Adults without Dependents (ABAWDs) to 3 months in a 36-month period unless special work requirements are met or the individual is otherwise exempt from the ABAWD requirements.

In New York State the initial 36-month period began January 1, 2016 and will expire on December 31, 2018. 

A new 36-month period will begin January 1, 2019 and will expire on December 31, 2021. 

ABAWDs who had their SNAP benefits terminated for noncompliance with the ABAWD requirements during the time period of January 1 ,2016 through December 31, 2018 may now be eligible for SNAP benefits if they meet all other SNAP eligibility requirements.

If you have received a letter from New York State about work requirements and your continued eligibility for SNAP benefits as an ABAWD (Able-Bodied Adult Without Dependents) and you are a Tompkins County resident, please call the Hotline number above for help with any questions or concerns you may have.