HelpContact UsFOILSite Map

Custom Navigation

Living in Tompkins County linkLearning in Tompkins County linkVisiting Tompkins County linkBusiness in Tompkins County linkTompkins County Government link

You are here:

You are here

> BOE Registration Drive Information


Contact Information

 128 East Buffalo Street
 Ithaca, NY 14850

Phone: (607) 274-5522
Fax: (607) 274-5533

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm

Email Us

Democratic Commissioner, Stephen Dewitt
Republican Commissioner, Elizabeth Cree



Registration Drive Information

This page answers some of the most common questions concerning voter registration drives.

We believe all voter registration drives should be nonpartisan.That is, you should not endorse or oppose a candidate or party, just try to promote democracy. 501(c)(3) nonprofits must conduct nonpartisan drives. Your tax exemption could be revoked if you engage in any political campaign. See tips about conducting a nonpartisan drive.

You can pick up blank applications from our office. If you need 100 or more applications, please contact the New York State Board of Elections, 40 Steuben St., Albany NY, 12207. Phone: 518-474-6220.

It is extremely important that you return the voters' applications to our office before the next election registration deadline.(See our Homepage for most current deadlines.) The Voter is not registered until their application has been processed. We would very much appreciate it if you return applications in small numbers, as much before the deadline as possible, rather than bring in a large amount on the last day before a deadline.

To register, you must:

  • Be 18 years old by December 31* of the year in which you file your registration card.
  • Not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction.(See below for more felony rules.)
  • Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.

*Note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the General, Primary, or other election in which you want to vote.

You can use a registration form to:

  • Register to vote in the state of New York,
  • Change your name/address since you last voted,
  • Enroll in a political party or change your current enrollment.

(Note – NY State only makes party affiliation changes once a year, after the General Election. The change must be requested by the registration cut off for the General. For example, a change in affiliation received by October 12, 2012 will be effective in 2013. Changes after October 12 will be effective in 2014).

Frequently asked questions:

  • Can Students from out of county register and vote here?
Yes -But you can only register from one address, either your local residence here, or from your hometown address.
  • Can Convicted Felons vote?

    Yes, you can register to vote if:

• You have been convicted of a felony but have been pardoned.
• Your maximum sentence of imprisonment has expired.
• You have been discharged from parole.
• You have been convicted but have not been sentenced to imprisonment or if the sentence of imprisonment has been suspended.
• You finished your maximum sentence and are currently serving probation.

  • Do Homeless People have the right to vote?
Yes - All you need to do is list the address of a shelter or drop in center, or where you usually spend the night (example -park bench in Dewitt Park) as your residential address.